Career and Technical Education Related Resources
Developed for Pennsylvania under the guidance of the Bureau of Career & Technical Education by the National Center for College and Career Transitions Last updated February 2021
Pennsylvania Special Populations Promising Practices by Category
As identified on the Pennsylvania CTE Resources website, visit http://pacteresources.com/ and organized into special categories in Fall 2020/Winter 2021
Section 1: Individuals with Disabilities
Lehigh Career and Technical Institute
Students in Lehigh Career and Technical Institute’s (LCTI) service occupations cluster (SOC) building trades maintenance program and students in the mechatronics program collaborated with the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit on a problem-based learning project- to design and build a better classroom chair for students with autism.
Erie County Technical School
Students with IEPs who are applying to Erie County Technical School (ECTS), their parents and their case managers complete a student success form to help inform families of the expectations and requirements for CTE programs at ECTS. Case managers sign off on the form indicating that they reviewed the curriculum, including reading and math levels, and the physical requirements of CTE programs with the student and family. Students also receive Program at a Glance forms that detail the required math and reading levels as well as tolerances required in the career area. The curriculum is printed on the back of the form, so parents and students can see exactly what is taught in the program. Both forms are distributed prior to tours of ECTS and prior to students registering for a CTE program.
Delaware County Technical Schools
Delaware County Technical Schools (DCTS) created skill alignment charts for each CTE program. The charts document the math and literacy skills integrated into programs as well as the physical considerations and essential skills for each program. The charts help sending schools consider which students might be a good fit for the CTCs, provide CTE instructors with a tool to help them more closely align their instruction with academic content, and help facilitate collaboration between student services staff and CTE instructors on how to best meet the needs of students.
Northern Westmoreland Career & Technology Center
The CTC partners with the Westmoreland County Intermediate Unit to employ a Special Education Facilitator who provides learning support to students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) and coordinates services between four participating high schools. The special education facilitator ensures that appropriate services and plans are implemented to support the success of students with IEPs both during the program selection process and throughout their enrollment.
Central Westmoreland Career and Technology Center
Students with IEPs who will be attending CWCTC complete a career interest inventory and talent assessment program so that they can make informed decisions about which CTE program might best align with their interests and skills. Since first using the assessment tool in 2013, the Learning Support Facilitator has observed two positive trends. Fewer students with IEPs return to their sending schools due to a lack of interest, and fewer students with IEPs switch programs within the CTC.
Admiral Peary Area Vocational Technical School
Students with IEPs are offered a range of support services to help prepare for the NOCTI assessments. These ongoing services are aligned to meet the specific learning needs of students. Much of the support focuses on how to best help students learn and retain material or how to help them complete classroom and program assessments to fully demonstrate their understanding of concepts.
Upper Bucks County Technical School
All students are provided multiple levels of support to help them prepare for the NOCTI exams. Students with IEPs are given additional assistance as required and needed to help them succeed on the tests.
Western Montgomery Career and Technology Center
To prepare students for the NOCTI assessment, administrators and instructors conduct data analysis to identify areas in need of improvement, set student-specific learning goals and provide ongoing support to students. Also, during the initial IEP meeting, CTC staff members work to ensure that the child is placed in the best possible program based on his/her needs and goals. Once students are enrolled, CTC staff communicate weekly with the sending districts and participate in monthly special education meetings that provide opportunities for relevant stakeholders to be on the same page in terms of how best to serve all students.
Cumberland Perry Area Vocational Technical School
Faculty implement data-driven instruction and test preparation strategies to help ready students for end-of-program assessments.
Franklin County Career & Technology Center
Students with Individual Education Plans (IEP) receive ongoing support to help prepare for the NOCTI assessment. In addition, all instructors receive professional development that addresses how to meet the needs of all learners.
Beaver County Career and Technology Center
BCCTC created an online reference site to organize and give access to documents that may be needed by its special education students and their families.
Clearfield County Career and Technology Center
The drafting instructor utilizes Google Classroom to implement practices that bring together a wide variety of resources and activities into a highly structured and organized curriculum delivery method.
Beaver County Career & Technology Center
Administrators and staff implemented a Special Education Communication Protocol that addresses CTE and Local Education Agency responsibilities to ensure that students with IEPs or 504 plans receive the necessary services to succeed.
Components of the plan address policies and practices to ensure:
- Students are placed in programs in which they are likely to succeed;
- There is necessary staffing as stated in the Individualized Education Program (IEP) to help deliver and support instruction;
- Ongoing reviews of student needs and supports are conducted; and
- Student progress is documented.
Lawrence County Career and Technical Center
Staff use instructional and assessment policies and practices to better serve students who qualify for support services. The roles of the four special education teachers are designed to support inclusion and co-teaching. Collaboration among special education, general education academic teachers and CTE instructors is a fundamental component of the Academic Support Classroom. In addition, the staff focuses data-driven decision making and the timely identification and notification of student progress.
Section 2: Individuals from Economically Disadvantaged Families, Including Low-income Youth and Adults
Susquehanna County Career & Technology Center
Through a collaboration between Susquehanna County Career & Technology Center (SCCTC) and the Community Foundation of the Endless Mountains, SCCTC students who are financially eligible can receive scholarships to pay for the necessary expenses of their CTE program and the certification tests.
Schuylkill Technology Center
STC implemented the School Climate Initiative (based on the work of the National School Climate Center). The Initiative is a comprehensive effort to build strong school-to-student and school-to-family relationships so that students and families are connected and engaged in the school experience. The initiative strives to create a supportive learning environment that addresses the social and emotional, civic and academic growth for all students.
Northern Westmoreland CTC
NWCTC implemented a credit recovery reimbursement program to support students who might otherwise withdraw from a CTE program due to academic failure and/or an inability to pay for summer school. Through this program, NWCTC reimburses students for up to two summer school courses taken for academic credit recovery.
Jules E. Mastbaum Area Vocational Technical School
Multiple partnerships have been developed between Jules E. Mastbaum Area Vocational Technical School, postsecondary institutions, and organizations to provide economically disadvantaged urban youth with experiences that empower them to interact effectively and professionally with adults.
Section 3: Individuals Preparing for Non-traditional Fields
Upper Bucks County Technical School
The Careers in Construction Alliance is a collaborative effort between UBCTS, Associated Builders and Contractors Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter (ABC), 500 regional commercial construction employers, and local high schools to promote careers and employment opportunities within the construction industry and to address a shortage of skilled workers in the trades. This collaboration is funded by ABC. UBCTS was one of two schools selected as an initial partner in Southeastern Pennsylvania. The partnership helps UBCTS promote post-high school apprenticeship opportunities, informing students of the opportunity to gain paid, on-the-job training immediately after graduation.
Western Montgomery County Career and Technology Center
WMCTC implemented innovative recruitment and marketing strategies to support student enrollment.
Carbon Career and Technical Institute
In 2017, CCTI developed a 13-minute video to support non-traditional student recruiting efforts.
Western Montgomery Career and Technology Center
An evening event introduces potential female students in grades seven through 11 to non-traditional careers.
Mercer County Career Center
Two hundred fifty-four ninth grade girls attended the Girls Engaging Mentors Affair event where they met in small groups with 25 women working in nontraditional STEM careers.
The profile details several different grant programs in Armstrong, Butler, and Indiana counties, such as:
Penn United Technologies, Inc., Butler County
Women in Manufacturing engaged 27 girls in grades nine through 12, providing them with an opportunity to learn about careers that are both traditionally and non-traditionally pursued by women in this industry.
Eastern Westmoreland CTC
The CTC hosts an annual day-long event for prospective eighth grade students to build awareness of non-traditional careers and to increase the enrollment of non-traditional students at the school.
Section 4: Single Parents, Including Single Pregnant Women
No profiles are available at this time.
Section 5: Out-of-Workforce Individuals
No profiles are available at this time.
Section 6: English Learners
This 30-minute presentation is a professional learning resource for CTE teachers and staff. It provides background information as well as practical tips for teaching English language learners.
Section 7: Homeless Individuals Described in Section 725 of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11434a)
No profiles are available at this time.
Section 8: Youth Who are in, or Have Aged Out of, the Foster Care System
No profiles are available at this time.
Section 9: Youth with a Parent Who is a Member of the Armed Forces and is on Active Duty
No profiles are available at this time.
2020 Best Practice TAP Profiles Webcast Series
The webcasts provide first-hand accounts from administrators, faculty and instructors about the innovative practices described in the TAP profiles. They are designed to offer another set of PA CTE resources to educators who want to know more about the innovative ideas their colleagues are implementing.
List of Best Practice Webcasts by title, school, and direct weblink:
- The “Fast Track” program for 9th grade students, Bethlehem Area Vocational & Technical http://pacteresources.com/2020/02/webcast-series-episode-1/
- A professional development program, “Gamification”, Dauphin County Technical http://pacteresources.com/2020/02/webcast-series-episode-2/
- Problem-based Learning – Building Chairs for Students with Autism, Lehigh Career and Technical Institute. http://pacteresources.com/2020/03/the-best-practice-tap-profiles-webcast-series-episode-3/
- Feed our Future Food Truck, Upper Bucks County Technical School. http://pacteresources.com/2020/03/the-best-practice-tap-profiles-webcast-series-episode-4/
- New Teacher Learning Walks, Franklin County Career and Technology Center. http://pacteresources.com/2020/03/the-best-practice-tap-profiles-webcast-series-episode-5/
- Intergenerational Training through Alternative Scheduling, Central Pennsylvania Institute of Science and Technology. http://pacteresources.com/2020/04/the-best-practices-tap-profiles-webcast-series-episode-6/
- Best Practices in Student Placement, Bureau of Career and Technical Education 2019. http://pacteresources.com/2020/05/the-best-practice-tap-profiles-webcast-series-episode-7/
- Best Practices in Cooperative Education, Bureau of Career and Technical Education 2019. http://pacteresources.com/2020/05/the-best-practice-tap-profiles-webcast-series-episode-8/
- Group Action Research, Berks Career and Technology Center. http://pacteresources.com/2020/05/the-best-practice-tap-profiles-webcast-series-episode-9/
- Mentor Induction Program, Berks Career and Technology Center. http://pacteresources.com/2020/05/the-best-practice-tap-profiles-webcast-series-episode-10/
Reports /Guides 2018 – 2020
Pennsylvania’s Guide to Best Practices in Adult Career and Technical Education [June 2020] Pending PDE Approval – coming soon!
Pennsylvania’s Guide to Best Practices in Cooperative Education [June 2019] Pending PDE Approval- coming soon!
Pennsylvania Career & Technical Education: College and Career Pathways for the 21st Century Brochure [September 2019] (20 pages)
Pennsylvania’s Guide to Best Practices in CTE Student Placement [June 2019] (24 pages)
The Pennsylvania Guide for Career and Technology Education’s Role in Apprenticeship [June 2018] (22 pages)
Pennsylvania Career and Technical Education: Dropout Prevention [Revised June 2018](18 pages)
Pennsylvania’s Career and Technical Education Excellence Awards 2015-16 [Updated June 2018] (22 pages)
PA Inspired Leadership (PIL) Program 2018 – 2019 Statewide PIL Blended Course Offerings Blended Learning – Flexibility for School Leaders [June 2018] (19 pages with links to course registration)
Career and Technical Education in Pennsylvania [June 2018] (4 pages)
Talking Points and Frequently Asked Questions: CTE in Pennsylvania [June 2018] (8 pages)
2018- 2020 CTE Best Practices – CTE Technical Assistance Program Profiles
(Also found on on the PACTA Website at http://pacteresources.com/ )
NC3T created profiles based on practices nominated by CTDSLs through PACTA for the program years beginning July 2018 through December 2019.
Our list of TAP Profiles by title, school, and direct web link:
- Organ Tissue Donation Awareness Carnival, Butler County Area Vocational-Technical School, http://pacteresources.com/2020/01/organ-tissue-donation-awareness-carnival/
- Collision Detailing Integration – Dauphin County CTC http://pacteresources.com/2019/10/collision-detailing-program-integration/
- Classic Car and Bike Show and Touch-A-Truck Event Raises Community Awareness about CTC – Connellsville Area Career & Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/10/classic-car-and-bike-show-and-touch-a-truck-event-raises-community-awareness-about-ctc/
- Problem-based Learning: Building Chairs for Students with Autism – Lehigh Career and Technical Institute http://pacteresources.com/2019/10/problem-based-learning-building-chairs-for-students-with-autism/
- Business Education Partnership Provides Apprenticeship Opportunities for Students – Upper Bucks County Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/10/business-education-partnership-provides-apprenticeship-opportunities-for-students/
- Outstanding Cooperative Education Student Awards – Lehigh Career & Technical Institute http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/outstanding-cooperative-education-student-awards/
- Collins Weekly Writing Routine to Improve Content Retention – Dauphin County Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/collins-weekly-writing-routine-to-improve-content-retention/
- MOCTI – Mock Exam to Prepare Students for the NOCTI Practical Exam – Dauphin County Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/mocti-mock-exam-to-prepare-students-for-the-nocti-practical-exam/
- Creating Online Quizzes to Help Students Make Informed Program Choices – Career Institute of Technology http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/creating-online-quizzes-to-help-students-make-informed-program-choices/
- U.S. Army Website Used to Support Student Achievement – Bethlehem Area Vocational-Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/u-s-army-website-used-to-support-student-achievement/
- Online Database Provides Seniors with Information about Scholarships and Awards – Career Institute of Technology http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/online-database-provides-seniors-with-information-about-scholarships-and-awards/
- Helping Students Obtain Driver’s License to Address Transportation Barriers – Wilkes-Barre Area Career and Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/helping-students-obtain-drivers-license-to-address-transportation-barriers/
- Career Fair for Seniors – Wilkes-Barre Area Career and Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/career-fair-for-seniors/
- Intergenerational Training through Alternative Scheduling – Central Pennsylvania Institute of Science and Technology http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/intergenerational-training-through-alternative-scheduling/
- Project Based Learning in Pre-Engineering – Warren County Career Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/project-based-learning-in-pre-engineering/
- Masonry Project Based Learning Activity – Lehigh Career & Technical Institute http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/masonry-project-based-learning-activity/
- Facilitating Team Building through “Escape Room” Games – Dauphin County Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/facilitating-team-building-through-escape-room-games/
- Best Practices Summit Features Peer-to-Peer Learning – Dauphin County Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/best-practices-summit-features-peer-to-peer-learning-2/
- Encouraging Instructional Best Practices through Competitions and Games (Gamification) – Dauphin County Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/encouraging-instructional-best-practices-through-competitions-and-games-gamification/
- Equipment Orientation and Proficiency Log – Lehigh Career & Technical Institute http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/equipment-orientation-and-proficiency-log/
- Teaching Human Anatomy with Virtual Reality – Lehigh Career & Technical Institute http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/teaching-human-anatomy-with-virtual-reality/
- Differentiated and Personalized Professional Development – Lehigh Career & Technical Institute http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/differentiated-and-personalized-professional-development/
- Welcoming Incoming Students – Erie County Technical High School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/welcoming-incoming-students/
- Holland Career Interest Inventory for all 9th Graders – Erie County Technical High School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/holland-career-interest-inventory-for-all-9th-graders/
- Student Success Form – Erie County Technical High School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/student-success-form/
- Fast Track Exploration Program – Bethlehem Area Vocational-Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/fast-track-exploration-program/
- Facilitating Special Education Services – Northern Westmoreland Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/facilitating-special-education-services/
- NOCTI BINGO – Lehigh Career & Technical Institute http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/nocti-bingo/
- Skill Alignment for CTE Programs – Delaware County Technical Schools http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/skill-alignment-for-cte-programs/
- Creative Themes for Cosmetology Open House – Fayette County Career and Technical Institute http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/creative-themes-for-cosmetology-open-house/
- CentreREADY!: A Collaborative Worker Certification Initiative – State College Area High School’s Career and Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/centreready-a-collaborative-worker-certification-initiative/
- The Health Profession Research Fellows Program – State College Area High School’s Career and Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/the-health-profession-research-fellows-program/
- Academic Integration through Journals – Greene County Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/academic-integration-through-journals/
- Promoting Career Awareness and High Priority Occupations Program Areas to Prospective Students through Camps – Connellsville Area Career & Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/promoting-career-awareness-and-high-priority-occupations-program-areas-to-prospective-students-through-camps/
- Assessing Student Interest and Skills to Guide Program Placement – Central Westmoreland Career and Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/assessing-student-interest-and-skills-to-guide-program-placement/
- Enhanced Workplace Learning/Co-op Experience – Erie High School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/enhanced-workplace-learningco-op-experience/
- Instructor Collaboration Provides Cross Training Opportunities for Welding Students – Erie High School http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/instructor-collaboration-provides-cross-training-opportunities-for-welding-students/
- FOCUS Team Provides Resources for Teachers – Mercer County Career Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/05/focus-team-provides-resources-for-teachers/
- Using School-Made Videos to Build Relationships – Career Institute of Technology http://pacteresources.com/2018/09/using-school-made-videos-to-build-relationships/
- PA Career Ready Index Activities – Greene County Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2018/10/pa-career-ready-index-activities/
- Promotional Video for the Life Sciences Video – Bedford County Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2018/10/promotional-video-for-the-life-sciences-video/
- Comprehensive Integration of CTE in School District Mindset and Operations – Corry Area School District’s Career & Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/04/comprehensive-integration-of-cte-in-school-district-mindset-and-operations/
- Weekly Enrichment Period – Lenape Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2018/10/weekly-enrichment-period/
- Funding Student Educational Needs through Partnership with Foundation – Susquehanna County Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2018/11/funding-student-educational-needs-through-partnership-with-foundation/
- Alumni Wall of Fame – Franklin County Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/02/alumni-wall-of-fame/
- Career Information Panel – Greater Johnstown Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/02/career-information-panel/
- Mentor-Induction Program – Berks Career and Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/02/mentor-induction-program/
- Graphic Communication Program Competes in National Competition – Career Technology Center of Lackawanna County http://pacteresources.com/2019/02/graphic-communication-program-competes-in-national-competition/
- New Teacher Learning Walks – Franklin County Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/03/new-teacher-learning-walks/
- Improved Cooperative Education Training Plan – Somerset County Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/03/improved-cooperative-education-training-plan/
- Teaching Proper Hand Washing – Central Westmoreland Career and Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/03/teaching-proper-hand-washing/
- Ascend – Education in Action – Chester County Technical College High School http://pacteresources.com/2019/03/ascend-education-in-action/
- CTC as an Economic and Community Development Leader – Greene County Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/04/ctc-as-an-economic-and-community-development-leader/
- Increasing Participation on Local Advisory Committee – Greene County Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/04/increasing-participation-on-local-advisory-committee/
- Feed our Future Food Truck – Upper Bucks County Technical School http://pacteresources.com/2019/04/feed-our-future-food-truck/
- Workshops to Develop a Curriculum – Corry Area School District’s Career & Technical Center http://pacteresources.com/2018/10/workshops-to-develop-a-curriculum-2/
- Safe2Say Something Administrative Manual – Greene County Career & Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/04/safe2say-something-administrative-manual/
- School-Wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Support Program – Somerset County Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/03/school-wide-positive-behavior-intervention-and-support-program/
- Group Action Research – Berks Career and Technology Center http://pacteresources.com/2019/06/group-action-research/
Communicating the Value of Career and Technology Centers to the Community [May 2017] (28 pages)
Promising Business Education Practice: Northern Tier Business Education Partnership [February 2017] (2 pages)
Promising Business Education Practice: Tri-County Business-Education Partnership Mini-Grant Program [February 2017] (3 pages)